Our service is open to everyone over the age of 18 who lives on the Morvern and Ardnamurchan Peninsulas, who feels lonely or isolated. This could be for several reasons such as: you are less mobile, are new to the area, have a new baby, have suffered a recent loss, are struggling with the impact of COVID restrictions, or have increasing health conditions.
The service is tailored to you, whether for a short period of time, or to give you a helping hand in building confidence and new relationships, or for a longer period of companionship. Our friendly volunteers bring confidential, friendly support to help reduce social and rural isolation and ease loneliness.
Natalie, our services manager, will meet with individuals to gather information including common interests and to find out what you would like to get out of the service. She will then carefully match individuals with volunteers – who will then deliver the service according to the needs of the individuals. We really want this service to meet your requirements, but the following are some suggestions as to what format it could take:
· Coffee and conversation in your own home
· Helping with a hobby
· Attending a social or craft group together
· Going for a walk
· Reading together
· Help with shopping
· A short trip out in the car
· Providing short respite for full-time carers
Befriending volunteers do not become involved in personal care, medical care, domestic tasks such as cooking and cleaning, or in financial or legal matters, they are not counsellors. All Befriending Volunteers are members of the PVG scheme and have undergone training relevant to the role.
What to do now
Please contact Natalie, services manager, if:
· You or a member of your family would like to be supported through this service. You can self-refer, or you can ask a member of your family, friend, or care professional to refer you.
· You have any questions about the service.
· You would like to become a volunteer befriender or have questions about volunteering.
· You are a care professional and would like more information about the service. Please call 01967 750060 or email email@example.com